1. First, go to this URL: http://www.ubuntu.com
2. Click on the link "Download Ubuntu"
3. Click "Start Download" (This download should take 10-15 minutes)
4. The filename is going to be similar to: ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386.iso
Now we wait...
While you are waiting for the file to download, go ahead and make sure that your "hidden volume" is mounted in TrueCrypt to a particular drive letter. For example, O: You will need that for the next step.
5. Return to your "VirtualBox Manager". It doesn't matter if the firewall is running or not.
6. Click "New" (the blue round star-icon in the top left) again.
7. "Welcome to the New VirtualMachine Wizard", click "Next"
8. "VM Name and OS Type", under "Name", type "Primary"
9. Next to "Operating System", select "Linux"
10. Next to "Version", select "Ubuntu" and Click "Next"
11. "Memory", by default it selects 512 MB. This is fine. 256 MB is the MINIMUM. The more memory you allocate, the better the virtual machine will function. Click "Next"
12. "Virtual Hard Disk", Make sure "Boot Hard Disk" is checked. Make sure "Create new hard disk" is selected. Click "Next"
13. "Welcome to the Create New Virtual Disk Wizard", click "Next"
14. "Hard Disk Storage Type", select "Fixed-size storage" and click "Next"
15. "Virtual Disk Location and Size", to the right of the text box containing "Primary" is a folder icon. Click the folder icon.
16. Now we have to select a file for the new hard disk image file. On the bottom of this dialog it says "Browse Folders", click on that.
17. Now click on "Computer" in the menu to the left.
18. Scroll to where you see the drive letter you mounted, and double click on it. Ex: Local Disk (O:)
19. Now click "Save"
20. By default 8.00 GB are selected. That is fine. If you have enough space on your hidden volume, increase this to 10 GB. Otherwise, 8 is fine.
21. Under "Location", it should say O:Primary.vdi where O: is replaced by whatever drive letter you mounted your TrueCrypt hidden volume to.
22. Click "Next", then click "Finish"
Now we wait for VirtualBox to create the hard drive we asked for. This may take a few minutes.
Keep in mind this entire virtual machine as well as any of its contents are going to reside within the hidden truecrypt container. This ensures extra security.
23. When this is done, you will see a "Summary" window. Click "Finish".
24. Now, right click on "Primary, Powered Off" in your "VirtualBox Manager", and click "Start"
25. Again we are at the "First Run Wizard", click "Next"
26. "Select Installation Media", under "Media Source" is a pull down menu. Click the "folder icon" to the immediate right of that pulldown menu.
27. Locate "ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386" (or the similarly named file) from your Downloads directory, or wherever you saved it. Click on it, and click "Open"
28. Click "Next"
29. Click "Finish"
Now simply wait. Your Ubuntu virtual machine will be loading up. This may take a few minutes. Don't worry if you see all kinds of strange messages/text. It is normal.
After a few minutes, you should start to see the Ubuntu desktop load. Unlike your firewall, you will notice that you do not have to click the mouse inside the window. It automatically happens. This is going to be much easier than the "Firewall" step.
Once everything has loaded, you will be looking at a window that says "Install" with a button that says "Install Ubuntu". If you cannot see everything, press RCTRL+F (to go full screen). You can return to windowed mode by RCTRL+F again. Any dialogs can be closed, and you can check the box that says "Do not show me this again."
30. Click "Install Ubuntu"
31. Check "Download updates while installing"
32. Check "Install this third-party software". Click "Forward"
33. Ensure "Erase and use entire disk" is selected, and click "Forward". Remember, this is NOT talking about your hard disk. It is talking about the 8-10 gigabyte virtual disk.
34. Click "Install Now"
35. Now you will be guided through a series of installation related screens. The first screen asks you to select your timezone/time. Select your choice and click "Forward"
36. Now keyboard layout, again select your choice and click Forward. If you are unsure, leave it as is or click "Figure out keyboard layout"
37. "Who are you?" For "Your name" type in: mainuser
38. When you type in "mainuser" the other boxes will fill in automatically. Now click in the text box next to "Choose a password".
39. Do NOT use the same password as the firewall. Come up with a different password.
40. Ensure that "Require my password to log in" as well as "Encrypt my home folder" are selected and checked and proceed.
Now simply wait until the installation is finished. The installation may take a while, and it may appear to stall at some points. As long as the ubuntu mouse cursor shows an animation that is turning around in circles, the installation *is* working. Simply wait until it is done. If after an hour or two the progress bar hasn't moved at all, then go ahead and re-start the installation starting from step 24 (after closing the window and powering down the virtual machine).
Depending on your computer, it could take 2-4 hours. Most likely, it will take about an hour. Once finished, you will see a dialog that says "Installation Complete" with a button that says "Reboot Now". Do NOT press the "Reboot Now" button. Close the 'X' on this window, and Power Down.
41. Now, right click "Primary" and go to "Settings".
42. Click on "Storage" in the left menu. Then click on the "ubuntu-10.10... .iso" under where it says "IDE Controller"
43. To the right it says "Attributes" under that it says "CD/DVD Drive : ..." to the immediate right of that is a cd icon. Click it.
44. Select "Remove disk from virtual drive."
45. Click "Ok"
46. Now, making sure that "Primary" is highlighted, click the "Start" button at the top with the large green arrow.
Now we wait for your newly installed Ubuntu machine to boot up.
47. After a few minutes, you will see a dialog appear that says "mainuser-VirtualBox". Go ahead and click on "mainuser" which has the "person icon" to the left of it.
48. Now it will prompt you for your password. Enter the password you used in the installation process.
49. After a minute or so, you should hear a nice login sound, and you should be fully logged into your virtualmachine.
50. Keep waiting, and a dialog will appear that says "Information avialable" and "Record your encryption passphrase" Click on: "Run this action now"
51. Type in the same password you used to log in. After that window closes, click "Close" in the dialog box.